Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Blog Post #2

The Silenced Dialogue/Overview Handout

By: Lisa Delpit

Quotes:

"There comes a moment in every class where we have to discuss "The Black Issue" and what's appropriate education for black children. I tell you, I'm tired of arguing with those white people, because they won't listen. Well, I don't know if they really don't listen or if they just don't believe you. It seems like if you can't quote Vygotsky or something, then you don't have any validity to speak about your own kids. Anyway, I'm not bothering with it anymore, now I'm just in it for a grade." - Pg. 21

- This quote from a black student in a predominately white setting stood out to me for a few reasons. His point on how white people aren't listening to his thoughts when talking about the education for black children is important to look at. The point he made at the end is also something to acknowledge. He's just in it for the grade. I feel as though teachers should be more encouraging for students to be themselves and to be passionate about a topic. 

"Black children expect an authority figure to act with authority." - Pg. 35

- I would have to say that I disagree with this statement by Delpit. I understand the Concept of Authority but I don't believe that race should play a part in it. Expecting students to react to classroom commands differently based on their race is a step in the wrong direction. Each household is different with its own set of rules. It just wouldn't make sense to command students differently like that. 

"I tell them that their language and cultural style is unique and wonderful but that there is a political power game that is also being played, and if they want to be in on that game there are certain games that they too must play." - pg. 40

- This quote to be very powerful with its meaning. I like how he tells the students about how their language and cultural style is unique, as it adds a sense of acceptance between the teacher and student. I also like the mentioning of the political power game. That political power game is part of how we can change this world. 


Here is a link to an video with some ideas on combating racism in schools.

Anti-Racism Resources | SFUSD

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mason! Thank you for your thoughtful post!! I agree with your point about the first quote in that white people might listen but they do not hear. Something else that stood out to me from the reading that was close to the passage that you referenced is when Delpit says that white people, "will do what they think anyways" (Deplit, paraphrase). I appreciate your quote which rings true because change cannot occur unless we recognize that there is a problem - Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to talking about this in class... the second quote you chose is really important and i would love to hear you try to figure out what DELPIT means by it before you offer your counterpoint. More in class, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mason! All of the quotes you chose from this week's reading are very powerful. In particular your third quote stood out to me the most. I believe that there is validity with regards to politics playing a role.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “ I understand the Concept of Authority but I don't believe that race should play a part in it.” It's hard to leave race out of something, when the system was built with out POC in mind. POC often have to navigate accordingly inorder to be seen as tolerable as their peers. Who exceed in the stature made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you did great with all three quotes, the one I like the most was the third quote. it shows appreciation and respect for their identity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In one way, I kind of understand where they are coming from. I do get that in society there are rules that you have to follow and that it is best to get students accustomed to them. But also, wouldn't it make sense if the teacher at least discussed with the students what she meant if they seemed to misunderstand her.

    ReplyDelete

#10

    Three Meaningful things from this semester. 1.  One thing from this semester that I saw as meaningful was the video classroom tour. It w...