Sunday, October 22, 2023

Finn

Literacy with an Attitude

Finn

Reflection: 

    I found the story given in Chapter 1 to be really interesting. Specifically the part about how working-class and poor kids relate to authority. Authority is so important in the classroom because it is a crucial part of maintaining discipline. Seeing the way that he taught left me with some takeaways that I could incorporate into my own teachings. The fact that he can get assignments graded within the next class is great. This quick feedback helps students understand where they are and what they might need to improve on. 

    In Chapter 2, as expected, the schools that have the top earning families are predominately all white schools. Hearing what some of the teachers had to say about students was terrible. I have been around teachers who have talked negatively about their students. I don't understand why teachers feel the need to bash students behind their back, or in some cases, to their face. As a teacher you should be eager to help the students reach their goals. The mentioning of personal development and creativity are crucial to understand. As a developing teacher, I find that creativity is something that is lacking in the developing youth. Creativity and outside-the-box thinking are not something  one might take into consideration when teaching, it is always important to include them. Something I wish I took more notice of throughout my own schooling was my personal growth. Personal growth aids students in gaining self-awareness, developing traits, and improving potential. 


Here is a link to an article further explaining why personal growth in schooling is important. 

https://exceptionalchildren.org/blog/personal-growth-necessary-educators-implement-trauma-sensitive-practices


The 10 best Personal Growth Tips - Iberdrola

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mason, I agree there needs to be authority in the classroom, but you don't want there to be too much where the children think your strict or mean. Another thing I really agree with is personal growth and can relate that I didn't notice my personal growth till after high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being a kid and hating having to wait for my test to get graded.

    ReplyDelete

#10

    Three Meaningful things from this semester. 1.  One thing from this semester that I saw as meaningful was the video classroom tour. It w...