Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Blog Post #6

Blog Post #6

Video/How Structural Racism Works

Professor Rose

Reflection: 

     Something in the Structural Racism works video was very interesting to me and I have decided to write about my thoughts on it. In the video there are 5 key areas of society where racism is highly consequential. The areas listed are, housing, education, mass media, wealth/jobs, and criminal justice. I have seen countless examples of racism throughout all of these areas. In the area of housing I have seen people act and say racist things in their household. This is a really important thing to combat because the children of tomorrow shouldn't grow up with racism in their household, it then becomes a "normal" thing to them. Racism still plagues the education system. While attending school in previous years I have heard kids bully others because of skin color, and I have heard things people have said, that shouldn't be said. Kids of color need a better education, inner city schools need to be fixed, especially the public schools. In mass media, racism is everywhere you look. I don't even need to use examples, you all have phones, you know what I'm talking about. Racism is present in the line of work as well, someone should never have to feel uncomfortable to go to work. Work is supposed to be a safe place for people to go to make money to live. Lastly, the criminal justice system is a joke. A lot of people that are locked up shouldn't be there, you have guys serving a longer sentance for marajuana possesion than guys who commit way worse crimes. The prisons themselves are unstable, dirty, and cruel. In every major aspect of life racism is right there, this Is a sad thing to realize. Change starts with us. 

Here is a link to a recent news video on the crumbling prison system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8W0HbVpUJQ


Government Watchdog: We Have a Growing Federal Prison 'Crisis' - The  Atlantic





4 comments:

  1. great reflection. your reflection also relates back to Tatum and how she emphasizes that racism limits opportunities for people of color in various aspects of life, including education, employment, and housing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember once seeing "Crazy ex-girlfriend" and one song that resonated with me was one that they sang in jail (the details don't matter as much as my next point). During the song a black woman claims that she's been there for 6 months for stealing a sweater from a store, to keep herself warm because she lost heat in her building. After all, she was unable to pay for it. Later on in the song you find out that a white woman is there for two weeks for stealing the same sweater, but she stole it for fun. This is a great description of society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great explanation of this piece. I did the reading from Tatum so reading what you wrote helped me understand one of the other pieces from this week - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mason! I think that your reflection is really well thought out.

    ReplyDelete

#10

    Three Meaningful things from this semester. 1.  One thing from this semester that I saw as meaningful was the video classroom tour. It w...