Monday, September 25, 2023

Blog Post #4

 Blog Post #4 

Video/What to look for in a Classroom

Alfie Kohn

Reflection:

    Kohn does an outstanding job at providing ideal examples of what should be in a classroom, and what shouldn't. As a student who has been in many different classrooms throughout my life, I can say that I have seen good classrooms and bad ones. The worst classroom I've ever been in was my 7th grade classroom. Students were always talking out and complaining. The thing that bothered me most was the blank walls, the classroom was so plain and in the mind of a 7th grader it felt like I was in prison. I also particularly enjoyed classrooms that were set up to feel comfy with books and supplies everywhere. One thing that I don't have a problem with was listed as a possible reason to worry,  teachers being typically front and center was something I always liked. The teacher being in the front was very convenient for myself, especially when I had a question. Still, I can understand the appeal of an active teacher who roams around the classroom, interacting with students on a more personal level. In the video I was reminded of how important culturally responsive teaching is. I have had a few teachers who are culturally responsive and the environment is noticeably better. Teachers who can do this create an environment that acknowledges diversity and individuality, which makes students feel more appreciated and valued. 


Here are some classroom design ideas, I hope this can give someone some ideas!

https://chaylorandmads.com/classroom-decoration-ideas/

Winter Newsletter - Progress Toward Our Goals | News Story

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mason! Your comparison of a blank classroom to a prison really stood out to me. As a student, I can confidently say that at one point or another, we have all felt this way. It can truly have a major impact on the way a child feels about learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Mason, a connection I can make to your post is that my professor from another class said the same thing about how some classrooms have blank walls or no decoration at all. how it bothers her also because it has a feeling of emptiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most important thing about a classroom is how a student feels in it.

    ReplyDelete

#10

    Three Meaningful things from this semester. 1.  One thing from this semester that I saw as meaningful was the video classroom tour. It w...